- Event Time 7:00 pm-9:00 pm
- Event Start Date 04/05/2015
- Event Location 46 Sims Place #01-197 (Level 2)
Engaged Buddhism: Connecting the then and now
Today, there is a growing interest in the Buddha’s teachings worldwide. What is so captivating about the 2500 year old Buddha’s teachings that make them still so relevant to our modern world?
Buddhist teachings show us the way to end all suffering and to attain lasting happiness. You are invited to start this journey of discovering the Buddha-Dharma.
This 8-lesson course has been designed as an introduction to those who are relatively new to Buddhism. The lesson contents have been arranged so as to offer participants a fair knowledge of Indian Buddhism – its style and thoughts that had shaped and influenced the molding of the various facets of Buddhism that we see today.
The course will be delivered in a classroom style so as to offer greater interactive environment. There will be no written or oral evaluation at the end of the course. But participants are encouraged to ask questions to seek clarification.
Who Should Attend
- Those with none or little prior knowledge of Buddhism.
- Those who wish to supplement their current understanding of Buddhism.
- Those who find contradictions in some Buddhist thoughts and need clarification.
- Those who wish to understand what Early Indian Buddhism is all about.
- The course has been arranged such that it will present the following topics clearly to participants:
- Buddhist historical perspectives from the parinibbana of Gotama the Buddha to the period of Emperor Ashoka – 3 lectures.
- Some important Buddhist doctrines and their impact on Buddhist thoughts and philosophy – 3 lectures.
- Connecting the ancient wisdom of Buddhism to that of modern context – 2 lectures.
At the end of the course, participants can appreciate the depth of the thoughts of Gotama the Buddha. It can also offer participants to some insights of the exponential growth of Buddhism during the first 300 years of his history. With those insights and appreciation, participants can be expected to grow spiritually into greater heights and be grateful that His pristine teachings have been made available to us.
Certificate of Attendance
Certificate of attendance will be awarded to participants who attend minimum of 6 lessons out of the eight.
S$100.00 (inclusive of two books authored by the trainer)
S$ 80.00 (DC Member / Age above 60 / Student)
Commencement Date :
4 May to 22 June 2015 (Every Monday for 8 lessons) 7pm-9pm
Registration Closing Date :
27 April 2015 (Limited seats, register with us soon!)
Sharon 9811 5438
About The Trainer
Dr. Jeffrey Po is a counselling psychologist and psychotherapist in private practice. He also participates and organises workshops, lectures and training in that direction and tries to connect them to Buddhist spiritual practices. Besides Singapore, he has lectured extensively overseas in Australia, Hong Kong, Philippines, Indonesia, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. He is the author of two books, namely “The Buddhist Companion” and “Buddhist Snippets”. In the pipeline are two more books entitled “The Buddhist Snippets – II” and “Meditative flow-Psychotherapy”.